THE GRAPHIC WITNESS INC.

AERIAL PHOTO ARCHIVE

COURTHOUSE DISTRICT & DOWNTOWN FORT LAUDERDALE AREA 

Downtown, looking east from about SW 2nd Ave. Date unknown. Hand-tinted.

 

Downtown, looking SE; year unknown. Broward Blvd. is in the foreground. Hand-tinted.

Downtown in the late 1930s, looking west from about SE 2nd Ave. Hand-tinted. (Cal Deal)

Downtown in the 1930s, looking east. The FEC railroad tracks are in the foreground. (The first rail passenger arrived here on Feb. 22, 1896!)

Downtown in the 1950s, looking northwest. The area of the New River and SE 2rd Ave. is in the foreground.

Fort Lauderdale High in the 1940s, looking northwest. It's now the site of the NationsBank building between Broward Blvd., right, and SE 2 St. Federal Hwy. is in the foreground. The school opened in September of 1915.

Click on the photos to see blowups. To make the photos more enjoyable, they have been digitally enlarged and enhanced. The originals were obtained from the Florida State Archives web site (except as noted). The download time for the color blowups should be about 50 seconds with a 28.8 modem, or about 30 seconds with a 56.6.

OTHER OLD AERIAL PHOTOS IN THIS WEB SITE

Fort Lauderdale Beach, Gateway and Rio Vista.

Sunrise Blvd., 1947 (B&W): The Galleria is nothing but bushes! Learn why the railroad makes a hard turn to the west. See Victoria Park, Coral Ridge, Lake Ridge, Las Olas Isles, Seven Isles and Lauderdale Beach.

Northeast Fort Lauderdale, 1957 (B&W): See what The Landings, Bay Colony, Imperial Point & Knoll Ridge looked like where there were still snakes and gators about.

 

The Graphic Witness Inc.

COPYRIGHT BY THE GRAPHIC WITNESS INC., FORT LAUDERDALE, FL

(954) 522-2828 E-MAIL

FAX: (954) 523-8799 1317 SE 2nd Ave., FORT LAUDERDALE, FL 33316

Site created
by
Cal Deal